Saturday, October 29, 2005

Chess Openings - Unusual First Moves

I am so used to playing 1.d4 or 1.e4 that, when an opponent plays say 1.b4 my first reaction is - hey what's this? I decided to search around a bit for Chess Openings - Unusual First Moves when I ran into Mark Week's article by the same name.

1.b4 is also known as the Orangutang, one of the most colorful opening names, and as the Polish. Chess Lab has over two million interactive chess games online. Here's one game from Chess Lab based on the Orangutang.

[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "1990.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Bunk"]
[Black "Wartig, W."]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A00"]
[EventDate "1990.??.??"]

1. b4 e5 2. Bb2 Bxb4 3. f4 f6 {Nc6 would have been better?}
4. e3 b6 5. fxe5 fxe5 6. Qh5+ Kf8 7. Qf3+ 1-0

There's also a game there between Hasler and Karpov, that Hasler won using this opening. I better watch out for an opponent trying this opening with me. Any of you have played this opening before? What's been your experience?

On a different note, I was wondering how to set up an engine vs engine match on Fritz that plays this opening only. Any ideas?

Update: (1st Nov.) Jeroen from The Netherlands pointed me to a site dedicated to the Orangutang.
Technorati Tags: , ,
Blogs linking to this article

3 Comments:

Blogger Cat's Eye said...

I like the
a6--b5--Bb7--e6--Nf6--Be7
for Black.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Yeah, I ran into my first polish over the weekend too.

PS

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PS what's been your experience with the Polish?

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home