Saturday, October 08, 2005

Chess Problem

Chess Problem
I have been going through the eBook - 700 Chess Problems - Selected from the Compositions of Mrs. W. J. Baird [1902]. She says "The Chess Problems contained in this volume are the product of the labour and recreation of some fourteen years. I say "labour," because I am not such a Chess enthusiast as to believe that a collection such as this can be produced without persistent application partaking of the nature of work; and "recreation," because the work has been a pleasure - how great a pleasure only a composer can fully realize".

The Chess Problem shown here is from the Morning Post dated June 30th, 1888 - White to move and mate in two moves. Any takers?

My Chess friend ChessSmith talks about this post here and here.
Technorati Tags:
Blogs linking to this article

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! I think I've got it? This took me about 20 minutes and several tries (White's Queen couldn't just sit on the sidelines afterall could she?) before I spotted 1.Bg5 and then the White Pawn at e5 must become the target, Black really has nothing else to do?
If, 1...Ngxe5 then, 2.Nce7# but what if, 1...Ncxe5? and the second move is no good? Then the other Knight gets into the game with 2.Nd4#

Thanks Satish, great fun with my morning coffee!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But if, 1. Bg5 Qxg5 then mate not possible in next move. Am I missing something or maybe the Almond wine makes me think otherwise!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite correct (not to mention obvious). Clearly an excess of Almond wine is superior to a deficit of coffee! I must resist the temptation to run this through Chessmaster 9000 and have a longer look.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd suggest, you wait for the usage of ChessMaster... I too am figuring it out and I plan to do it today morning...

6:05 AM  
Blogger Cat's Eye said...

1.Qb7 to b1 or f7
1...Qc1 then 2.Qf7
or
1...defend F7 then 2.Qb1

6:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cat's Eye - Cool.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Rajmahendra said...

Hi,

Tell me if i am wrong.

1. Qb7 Qh7
2. Qb1++

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home